NSO’s mission is “transforming lives and encouraging independence through safe, healthy homes, dental care and nutrition”
NSO’s vision is: “To bring Christ’s love to the homeless and working poor and empower them to break the cycle of poverty.”
All board members bring special knowledge, skills, resources and contacts to their position on our board. So that the board and organization receive the most positive impact from their commitment to serve, each is asked to make mutual commitments.
I understand that as a member of the Board of Directors of Neighborhood Services Organization, I have a legal and ethical responsibility to ensure that the organization does the best work possible in pursuit of its goals. I believe in the purpose and the mission of the organization, and I will act responsibly and prudently as its steward.
As a board member, I commit to:
1. Support the mission and vision of NSO.
2. Develop and maintain a communications link with the community. Represent the public interest on the board. Be an advocate for NSO in the community.
3. Make an annual personal financial contribution to the organization.
4. Actively participate in board meetings with no more than 2 absences excused in advance. Attendance is strongly encouraged; however, call-ins are approved for two board meetings per fiscal year.
5. Attend a minimum of one organizational training or retreat annually.
6. Actively participate on a committee or task force with attendance requirements based on committee charters.
7. Assist with the recruitment of new board members and the cultivation of potential donors, clients and volunteers.
8. Actively support all NSO campaigns and special events.
9. Actively participate in a minimum of two Good Samaritan Luncheons per fiscal year by inviting potential guests to promote NSO awareness.
In return, Neighborhood Services Organization commits to:
1. Work to model the values of nonprofit management excellence.
2. Do thorough short and long term planning.
3. Seek optimum use of staff and volunteer capability.
4. Maintain effective financial management, resource development, and marketing and public relations systems.
5. Carefully manage financial resources.
6. Utilize board member individual interests and talents to benefit the mission of the organization.
7. Make conscientious use of board member time.
8. Get important information to members in timely manner.
9. Assure board members are given valuable board experience.
If during my term of office, I am unable to attend meetings and/or fulfill committee obligations I will meet with the Chair of the Board and NSO President/CEO to explore other ways I can serve the organization.
Working together for an outstanding year 2018-2019: